Sunday 12 September 2010

30 days / 30 things Day 9

Ok, getting closer to today's post ! Day 9 (see, only 3 days behind now !) is a sleb chef that I like.

There really is little competition for this crown despite what my tag cloud might think  ! Now yes, I do like Jamie Oliver and on the whole I love his recipes but I do think he's become a bit evangelical recently. I think his projects are good, Fifteen and the School Dinners ones especially but it all seems very all or nothing at times.

I suppose also coming from Norwich I have to have a nod to good old Delia Smith ! She is great, a true legend. Her recipes rarely let me down and even as a relatively decent cook I still have a copy of her How to Cook. The only issue I have with her is how prescriptive she can be.

So, move over Jamie & Delia. My favourite sleb chef has to be Gordon Ramsay - not only from the eye candy aspect !!
I know I have a post about sleb chef recipes coming up but I have to post this recipe by GR which I do love - and so do the kids which is always a bonus.

So with all credit to Gordon Ramsay but with a few tweaks to suit my tastes ;-)

STICKY LEMON CHICKEN
serves 2

4 bone in chicken thighs with skin
Sea salt and black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic crushed
Few thyme sprigs
Splash of sherry vinegar
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1.5 tbsp honey
1/2 lemon, finely sliced (ideally with a mandolin)
Bunch of flat leaf parsley, chopped

1 Season the chicken with salt and pepper and heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan. Brown the chicken pieces (in batches if necessary) over a high heat with the thyme for 2–3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Return all the chicken to the pan, add the sherry vinegar and bubble until reduced by half. Drizzle over the soy sauce and honey and shake the pan to mix, add the crushed garlic now.

2 Pour in a good splash of hot water and add the lemon slices. Let the liquid bubble and reduce down until syrupy, which will take about 10 minutes or so. By now the chicken should be cooked through.

3 Transfer the chicken to a platter and sprinkle over the chopped parsley.

I served this with the champ that he suggests and broccoli but I think again I'd serve it with rice.

2 comments:

  1. You can't put Gordon above Delia and Jamie!!! I prefer HughFW to Gordon too, or James Martin. The recipe sounds good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like HughFW at all, don't know what it is !

    ReplyDelete