Tuesday 14 September 2010

30 days / 30 things Day 14

A sleb chef recipe today. I guess I have to be careful after my comments about some sleb chefs but I am sticking resolutely to Delia for this one.



Whatever I have said before I do love Delia and her recipes are generally very reliable. This one is a family favourite passed down to me from my Mum who swears by it. It's also very in keeping with the weather we're having currently. This rainy, cold and windy weather always makes me want to cook stews and casseroles.

DELIA'S BOEUF BOURGUIGNON
serves 4-6



900g braising steak cubed
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion sliced
1 heaped tablespoon flour
425ml red wine
2 cloves garlic
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
350g shallots
260g cubed pancetta
100g dark gilled mushrooms sliced
salt & pepper

Preheat the oven to 140C
Heat 1 1/4 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy based casserole dish
Sear the beef a few pieces at a time until brown and then remove to a plate
Then add the sliced onion and quickly brown that too
Add the meat back to the pan and sprinkle over the flour so it absorbs any juices
Next add the wine, herbs, garlic and seasoning. Put a lid on the casserole and cook for 2 hours
Using a bit more olive oil colour the shallots and bacon before adding to the casserole with the mushrooms
Cook for another hour

Delia suggests potatoes boulangere and a green salad but I often do mash and green beans instead. I am almost salivating reading this, it is utterly beyond gorgeous !




No comments:

Post a Comment