Wednesday 29 June 2011

Birds Eye Rice Fusions review

A few weeks ago I was contacted to review the new Birds Eye product - Rice Fusions. I must also state at the beginning I've not been paid to do this review so it's entirely, 100% my honest opinion.


This is new onto the market at retails at £1.89 a packet and in there you get two packs of rice, each one being a single serving. It comes in 4 flavours: Egg fried rice, Mediterranean vegetable, Country mushroom and Aromatic pilau.


The individual servings are in small pyramid like bags which help the rice to steam through. These go in the microwave and 2 sachets take 7 minutes on 750W - just enough time to cook a stir fry ! Easy.


This review is mainly about the Egg fried rice although we have also tried the mushroom and the Mediterranean vegetable. The mushroom was ok, nice but didn't blow us away. I didn't try the mediterranean vegetable one, but the speed with which the kids put it away I would say it was good. I have yet to try the pilau, I'm saving that for a curry next week !

So, onto my recipe. This is a bit of a make it up as you go type recipe but really quick and healthy. Great for a kids tea.

BARBECUE CHICKEN 
serves 2 kids but easily adapted



tsp olive oil
1/2 red onion sliced
1 clove garlic crushed
1/4 tsp easy ginger
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tbsp runny honey
1 tbsp soy sauce
dribble of worcestershire sauce or squirt of American mustard (optional)
juice 1/2 lemon
freshly ground black pepper
handful cold roast chicken or 1 chicken breast sliced and cooked
Frozen peas, sweetcorn, green beans or soya beans - whatever you have in or prefer !

Heat the olive oil and fry the onion, garlic and ginger until soft
Add all the sauce ingredients and bring to the boil
Add the chicken and veg and heat through, then serve on rice or with noodles

                                                                          ***************

So, despite son no 1's dislike of egg he ate this and enjoyed it. I was very impressed that the rice was perfectly cooked, fluffy and not at all sticky. It was tasty and even though the portions may be on the small side for some, it's not a bad way to control calories !!

Now, I will be brutally honest, this isn't something I'd ever normally buy. I may be rubbish at cooking rice but normally the Husband does it so we don't end up with overcooked mush ! I was pleasantly suprised though and I will even admit to now keeping a pack of the Egg fried rice in my freezer for emergencies or severe cases of "can't-be-arsed-itis".

No comments:

Post a Comment