Wednesday 20 April 2011

Tomato & red onion couscous

This was done as a quick addition to our meal last night. My carb-a-holic family were decidedly disgruntled that I was only planning on doing the flat breads with the kofta so I rootled around the cupboards and came up with this.

Couscous is one of those things which I think is a bit like Marmite. I personally love it and the way son no2 was shovelling it in with his hands, I think we can say he loves it too. The Husband really isn't keen but then a few months ago by accident I bought some wholemeal couscous from Tesco instead of the normal stuff. Since I've been using that he quite likes it, says it tastes more "nutty than perfumey" whatever that means ! Couscous also needs a lot of flavours thrown at it else it can be really bland so while the recipe below is a guide, to be honest you could add almost anything to it you fancied.

TOMATO, RED ONION AND CORIANDER COUSCOUS
serves 4 with leftovers for lunch the next day 



175g wholemeal couscous
A stock cube, I used chicken but veg would also be fine
4 vine ripened tomatoes roughly chopped
1/2 red onion finely chopped
Handful coriander chopped
A squeeze of lemon juice
Salt & pepper
Glug of decent olive oil
Toasted pine nuts to serve

Put the couscous in a large bowl and crumble in the stock cube. Pour over enough boiling water to just cover and put a plate over the bowl, set aside for about 10 minutes
Take the plate off and the couscous should have absorbed all the water and should be tender to eat
Fluff up with a fork and add the remaining ingredients mixing well
Keep tasting and adding what you think it needs until you're happy with it
Sprinkle over the pine nuts and serve straight away

2 comments:

  1. Just made this as shop bought couscous always seems to have mint or too much spice in it which I don't like. It's lovely! Even my son who said he doesn't like couscous has had seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's great !! I'm so pleased you liked it and even better that your son ate it too. For me getting my husband to eat couscous was my achievement x

    ReplyDelete