Monday 25 April 2011

Salsa & guacamole

Oh my goodness, how glorious has this weather been the last few days. It's only the end of April and we've had blisteringly hot days, BBQs, the paddling pool out for the children. It's been more like July than April and it's been fantastic !

My meal plans haven't really been reflecting this sudden, rather unseasonal change in weather so there has been much chopping and changing of meals and impromptu barbecue-ing which has been great. I am only hoping and praying that this continues, for at least another week anyway. I fear however, with the Royal Wedding looming at the end of this week that we won't be that lucky. I believe they are forecasting rain.

Anyway, back on topic. I have previously alluded to my love of Mexican food and this weather makes me want to eat big salads full of burstingly ripe tomatoes, soft and silky avocados with juicy bbq-ed chicken which indeed I did on Saturday evening. Faced with left over tomatoes and avocados I made some salsa and guacamole to mop up the alcohol from our rather boozy family lunch yesterday.

I swear these are the best salsa and guacamole I have ever made or eaten. After you've eaten this guacamole you'll never go back to the shop bought stuff again.


Both these (tweaked) recipes are taken from Thomasina Miers book which I have mentioned, oh at least a couple of times before !

FRESH TOMATO SALSA


8 large ripe, flavoursome tomatoes
Small handful of coriander, stalks removed
1 small red onion finely chopped
1 red chilli chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1-2 limes squeezed
1 teaspoon soft brown or demerara sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Put a small cross in the base of the tomatoes and put in a bowl of boiling water for 1 minute
Remove and take off the skins. Quarter, deseed and chop roughly
Stir in the coriander and then add the other ingredients but only 1/2 the lime juice
Check the flavour and add more lime juice, salt and pepper to taste
Leave for 20 mins for the flavours to develop

GUACAMOLE


1/2 a red onion very finely chopped
2 red chillis chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt
3 ripe Hass avocados
juice of 1-2 limes
small handful of coriander leaves chopped
black pepper

Put 1/4 of the onion and 1/2 the chilli in a pestle & mortar with the salt and mash to a rough paste
Cut open the avocados and add the pestle & mortar with 1/2 the lime juice and mash
Add the red of the ingredients and season with plenty of black pepper
Keep tasting and adjusting seasoning/ lime to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment