Thursday 30 September 2010

30 days / 30 things Day 28

Today is my favourite pudding. Well, where to start ?

While I'm no Greg Wallace (those of you from the UK who watch Masterchef will know exactly what I mean) I do love a good pudding. I'm not fussy, chocolatey, fruity, hot or cold or something else entirely. I love them all. I've eaten some good puddings, some great puddings and some (sadly) mediocre puddings. We rarely eat them at home so it's a treat for when we're eating out usually.

So, what is my favourite ? I can pick favourites from the various categories but can I pick an overall winner ? That's more tricky. I love rhubarb crumble with custard on a cold winter's day. Banoffee cheesecake for when I want something trashy and then chocolate pots for something more sophisticated ! I think though I'm going to have to go for something currently terribly unseasonal but in season with the right ingredients can be just totally out of this world.

SUMMER PUDDING
serves 6




1kg summer fruits eg raspberries, various currants, blackberries. You can use strawberries but I tend not to.
125g caster sugar
8 thin slices of white bread cut from a loaf which is a little stale

Put the fruit in a saucepan with the sugar and heat gently for 4-5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved, the fruit slightly soft and the fruit has given up some juice.
Use 6 of the slices to line the the base and sides of a 1.2l pudding bowl. I have sometimes briefly soaked the bread in some of the juice first to prevent white bits in the finished pudding !
Using a ladle drain off about 150ml of juice and set aside
Put the rest of the fruit and juice on the bowl and use the last two slices to cover the base of the pudding
Put a plate on the bowl and weight (baked bean cans work well up to about 1kg in weight). Chill overnight.
When ready to serve turn out the pudding and pour over the remaining juice to cover any white bits !
Serve with clotted cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment