Wednesday 22 September 2010

30 days / 30 things Day 21

Day 21 is supposed to be a restaurant I'd like to eat in. Being the author of this whole project I'm going to exercise my right to change things as I wish. Today instead I'm going to write about a restaurant I ate in today which was amazing. One of those impromptu meals out when you find a real gem totally by accident - I love finding new places to eat, especially when they are as good as this !

Today, on the way back from an appointment we stumbled across this place, The Three Horseshoes at Madingley near Cambridge.



We arrived at 12.30 and were asking if we'd booked ! After being offered a tiny cramped little table, which we declined, we were then offered a bigger table in the bar which was perfect. The place is very gastropubby in appearance. Scrubbed floorboards and big scrubbed pine tables, all very light and airy.

Homemade rosemary foccacia arrived with a little pot of lovely grassy, spicy olive oil and good quality balsamic vinegar. We perused the menu and the choice was great if a little much for what we'd expected for lunch. The menu is split as you would expect a true Italian menu to be, into antipasti, soups/pasta/risotto and then fish and meat dishes.

We both went for the salt and pepper prawns with aioli to start (£8) and I followed with an antipasti dish of chargrilled squid with chilli, lemon and olive oil with a side of rocket (£8) with a bowl of chips with garlic and parsley butter. My companion went for a main of gnocchi with slow braised oxtail with celery, tomatoes, rosemary and bay (£15).

Service was prompt and the prawns arrived with little finger bowls. They were piping hot and utterly delicious. The aioli was nice but for me it could have done with a bit more oomph. My squid was lovely, not overcooked but nice and tender. The dressing gave a nice kick but I'd have liked a little more rocket on the side. The chips were sublime. Perfectly cooked with a massive hit of garlic, parsley and salt, delicious and have left me with garlic oozing out of every pore !! The oxtail was rich and smelt amazing, the gnocchi light. Unfortunately though it was felt to be just too rich to eat more than 1/2 which was a shame really.



Opting for puddings I went for a caramel icecream (£5) which was three large scoops of obviously homemade icecream. My companion went for the panacotta with fresh figs and wildflower honey (£8) which was proclaimed delicious.


Not a cheap lunch, but delicious and good service. If I was in the area again I'd definitely book to eat there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment