Sunday 1 August 2010

Mexican yumminess !

I can't believe it's been so long since I wrote anything on here. I keep cooking and think "Oh, I must blog about that" but never do.

As usual life has taken me over and it's all been total craziness, as many Mummies with young families can sympathise with I'm sure. Anyway back to my usual topic and a new cookery book which I am totally in love with.

Last summer, the Husband and I were given a rare overnight pass by the grandparents and we hot-footed it to the Big Smoke. Being a Masterchef fan, I'd been wanting to try Wahaca for some time - the restaurant owned by Thomasina Miers. I love Mexican food but it always seems to be limited to more "Tex-Mex" fare than true Mexican. The meal we had there was quite simply amazing. Very fresh, clean flavours and some of the best guacamole I've ever eaten. Very reasonably priced too for the middle of Covent Garden !

When I heard she had a book out, I had to get it despite the comments from the Husband about my ever growing recipe book collection !


The book, like a lot of this genre, does require a few hard-to-source ingredients and needs some substitutions too. I couldn't find proper corn tortillas in my little corner of Norfolk (what a surprise) and had to go with the Old El Paso alternative. I also need a trip to a good chilli shop at some point so I can try making my own chipotle en adobo.

I can say though I have made the gucamole and salsa which are firm favourites here and I don't think I'll be able to go back to the mousse-y shop bought gucamole ever again. The spicy bird tacos are lovely as are the chorizo, potato and thyme quesadillas. I love refried beans too and even though it's a bit of a faff, the recipe here is to die for.

If you like Mexican and are prepared to put in a little effort then I can't recommend this book enough.

http://www.wahaca.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. This book is sitting in my Amazon basket as we speak so I'm glad you liked it. Off to purchase now! Wahaca is also on my list of things to do the next time I get down to London.

    ReplyDelete