Sunday 25 April 2010

Pizza whirls & mini cheese and potato pasties

Another busy week and little cooking going on I'm afraid to say.

Today though I've done some baking for lunch boxes (savoury this time) and a new recipe that's been on my "to cook" list for ages.

Firstly the baking. In my never ending quest to empty the freezer I found some frozen puff pastry lurking at the back of a drawer. I'm guessing it was left over from Xmas but I have no idea what I was planning on making with it.

The first recipe (on the left) is one of my children's favourite lunch treats. I can't remember where I got the idea from but they are yummy and great for putting in lunch boxes. Not too expensive to make either.

The second recipe (on the right) is a "make it up as I go along" one. I needed something veggie for a picnic and thought I'd try making some mini pasties and ended up with cheese, potato and onion pasties in mini.




PIZZA WHIRLS
makes about 8
1/2 a pack of chilled puff pastry
Tomato ketchup
Mixed herbs
Other toppings eg ham etc optional
Grated cheese
Roll out the pastry fairly thinly into a rectangle shape
Spread over some tomato ketchup, sprinkle over the herbs and cheese
Roll into a large sausage shape and cut into about 8 pieces
Place on a baking tray and bake at approx 200C for 20 mins or until golden

MINI CHEESE & POTATO PASTIES
makes about 12
1/2 pack of chilled puff pastry
2 medium potatoes peeled and chopped
1 small onion chopped
Strong grated cheddar
Milk
Boil the potatoes until tender, drain and mash with a little butter and black pepper, mix in the cheese. Then slowly fry the onion in a smidge of olive oil until soft. Mix everything together.
Roll out the pastry and cut out about 12 rounds (I used a large mug !)
Put a teaspoon of the potato mixture in the centre of each round.
Fold the pastry over to make a crescent shape and moisten the edges with water. Crimp to seal
Bake at 200C for about 25 minutes or until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment