Sunday 21 March 2010

Homemade hobnobs

Last year I got into quite a good routine of baking on a Sunday afternoon. Very restful - apart from when son no1 wants to get involved - and gave me something homemade to put in lunchboxes the following week. Not wanting to be a smug Mummy about it, but I'd prefer my kids had a home made biscuit or piece of cake rather than a pre-wrapped chocolate biscuit.

Anyway, I fell out of the routine and son no 1 has been begging me to start again. So today I found a recipe on the money saving expert website for "home made hobnobs". Biscuits are not normally something I'll have in the house because of the temptation issue rather than anything more "pure" than that ! The Husband knows never to buy milk chocolate digestives but he can buy dark chocolate ones as I don't like them - good job he prefers them.

So, my house currently smells lovely and toasty with the smell of freshly baked biccies and oh my God, they are seriously LUSH. I've just had two (see what I mean ?!) with a cup of coffee and could easily eat a couple more, but won't.


HOMEMADE HOBNOBS
makes about 30

8oz sugar - I used light brown soft sugar
8oz butter
8oz self-raising flour
8oz porridge oats
1 tblspn golden syrup
1 tblspn hot water
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Melt the butter, sugar, syrup and hot water over a low heat
Add the bicarb
Add to the oats and flour and mix well
Place small spoonfuls onto baking trays spaced well apart and flatten slightly
Bake at 180 for 15 minutes until golden
Allow to firm up slightly on the tray before transferring to a wire rack

No comments:

Post a Comment