Saturday 13 February 2010

Spiced lamb casserole

The last few weeks have been so busy I just haven't had time to update things.

The best bit is that my low-carb diet has resulted in a 7lb weight loss over the last 2 weeks !!! I'm totally thrilled with that and my jeans have lost their "post Xmas pinch" ;-)

Today we had friends over for lunch and I'm ashamed to admit that I fell off the low carb wagon with some style. It damn well tasted good though. Firstly I did a rather adapted version of JO's spiced lamb shanks, although I couldn't get hold of any lamb shanks. This was then followed with mandarin cheesecake.

SPICED LAMB
serves about 6

2 tsp of coriander seeds
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp dried oregano
S&P
flour - about 2 tbsp
1 large shoulder of lamb
Olive oil
3 onions chopped
6 stalks of celery halved and sliced
2 large carrots diced
3 cloves of garlic crushed
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3x400g cans of plum tomatoes

Crush the coriander seeds and chillis together and mix with the oregano and rosemary
Rub all over the seasoned meat and then sprinkle over the flour
Add a lug of olive oil to a large pan and sear the meat, remove to a large casserole dish
Add some more olive oil and fry the vegetables until just tender.
Add the balsamic vinegar and reduce slightly.
Finally add the tomatoes and vegetables to the lamb. Stir well and season. Add about 1/3 a can of water and put the lid on the dish.
Cook for 2 hours at 180C and then a further 30 mins with the lid off.
Stir through some chopped fresh basil and serve with mash and green veg.

The original recipe calls for 6 anchovies but due to the Husbands irrational fear of these I left them out ! I may sneak them in next time because I swear he wouldn't notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment