Thursday 7 January 2010

Kick ass chilli

I've been blogging for sometime under another name, but I am going to combine my two blogs into one I think. I rarely have time to update one blog, let alone two but I hope that combining my blogs will help with the frequency of my posts.

So today is a snow day. We had a good few inches of snow here overnight, well behind the rest of the country but so is the nature of the East ! I tried valiantly to get into work this morning but after 20 mins and getting less than 1/2 a mile I gave up and came home. Instead of being at work and dealing with the sick who can be bothered to battle through the snow, I'm at home with my husband (who is at home because his school is shut) and two small boys.

So far today we've been to the park, played snowballs and made snow angels before coming home to hot chocolate. I think this afternoon will be a DVD afternoon and I fancy cooking a chilli - warming comfort food.

Kick ass chilli (serves 4)

1tbsp olive oil
2 onions chopped
3 cloves of garlic crushed
1-2 red chillis deseeded (if you wish) and chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
2tsp ground coriander
500g lean mince beef
Splosh of Lea & Perrins
2x400g chopped tomatoes
Large pinch of sugar
Large can of kidney beans drained
Square of dark chocolate
Very large squeeze of tomato puree
Chilli powder to taste, about 2 tsp
Seasoning

Heat the oil in a large pot and fry the onions, garlic and chillies until soft
Add the spices and fry for a few minutes
Add all the other ingredients plus 1/2-1 can of water
Simmer for at least an hour until thick and reduced
Taste and adjust seasoning before serving

Serve with rice or jacket potatoes and grated cheese / sour cream if you like !

No comments:

Post a Comment