Sunday 8 May 2011

Scones

What a lovely day and no evidence at all for the rain we've been promised. After a long bike ride this morning and a lovely lunch with two glasses of wine, I decided to do some baking this afternoon to fend off the impending wine induced snooze. Chocolate tiffin done and chilling I thought about scones so here we go...


SCONES

Makes about 10
This is my Mum's recipe. I have yet to have a duff batch from this recipe and they are some of the best I've tasted too.



8oz self-raising flour
1 level tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1.5oz butter
1.5oz sugar
2oz sultanas
1/4 pt of milk

Pre-heat oven and baking sheet to 230C
Rub butter into flour
Stir in sugar and fruit
Add milk and using a knife mix to soft dough
Turn onto floured surface, knead lightly and roll out to about 3/4 inch thick
Cut out scones and brush tops with milk
Put onto hot baking sheet and bake for about 10 mins until risen and golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment