Saturday 23 October 2010

Chicken liver parfait

I love this, absolutely adore it and if it's on a menu anywhere I nearly always order it as a starter. I never make it at home though. I think I've made chicken liver pate once before and it was a bit of a flop.

Since I made the courgette pickles I've been fancying chicken liver pate so here is my attempt. It's one of those things that is rather gruesome to make but tastes oh so good.

CHICKEN LIVER PARFAIT
makes about 6



400g chicken livers trimmed of any green bits
150g butter plus 75g for clarifying
sprig of thyme
a few sage leaves
pinch of chinese five spice
garlic clove crushed
1-3 shallots chopped (depending on size but this can take a lot of flavours)
salt & pepper
2tbsp double cream

Heat a knob of butter in a pan and add the chicken livers, thyme, a couple of sage leaves, five spice, garlic, shallots and seasoning.
Cook the livers until still soft and pink (not raw) inside.
Blitz to a paste in a food processor and then add the rest of the butter and the cream, blitz again and then push through a sieve. Put into small ramekins.
Heat the other 75g of butter with 6 sage leaves in. When melted remove the leaves and top each ramekin with one.
Allow the solids to settle and pour the clarified butter over the ramekins.
Pop in the fridge to chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment