Sunday 10 October 2010

Carrot & coriander soup

I can normally take or leave soup. Never been a great fan really, don't know why just one of those things. Maybe it's a texture thing ? I don't mind the more main course style soups such as a good minestrone or something more chunky with beans and vegetables but a bowl of soup just doesn't do it for me.

Today though, I assume it's because I'm feeling under par as son no1 has decided to donate his cold to me, I wanted soup. Not tinned soup, nothing processed but a good hearty bowl of soup. Rummaging through the fridge I came up with the ingredients for carrot & coriander soup which both the Husband and I love but I thought the kids would turn their noses up at. I was pleasantly surprised. Son no1 fresh back from football  declared it "scrummy" - wonders will never cease.

CARROT & CORIANDER SOUP
serves about 4-6 depending on how hungry you are



1 tbsp oil - I used rapeseed
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 medium potato peeled and chopped
1tsp ground coriander
450g peeled weight of carrots chopped
Just over a litre of chicken or veg stock
Handful fresh coriander to finish

Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and garlic until soft
Add the coriander and potato and cook for a couple of minutes
Add the carrots and stock, cover and cook for at least 20 mins or until the carrots are tender
Chuck in the fresh coriander
Blitz with either a processor or a stick blender (saves on washing up !)

Serve with crusty bread

No comments:

Post a Comment