Friday 27 August 2010

Pot-roasted meatloaf

Ok firstly I must say I'm not sure why I'm posting this. I am really quite cross and I suppose I need to vent my anger.

Don't you just hate it when you've been eyeing up a recipe in a new cookbook for ages only to make it, and it be REALLY disappointing ? Well that's what happened to me tonight.

I was using the Jamie Oliver recipe for pot roast meatloaf out of the Ministry of Food book. I've cooked several other things out of the same book and they were all lovely. This however was not.

Partly I can blame Tesco for not labelling their smoked paprika as "hot smoked paprika" but in general I wasn't impressed with the consistency of the meatloaf either. I would make it again but I would make several changes. It looks lovely but the sauce was far too spicy (so much so that the boys had to have beans on toast).


I will put the recipe below as it is. BUT if I was going to do this again I'd either source sweet smoked paprika or put 1/2 the quantity in. I wouldn't use the cream crackers either, it gave it a really odd consistency in my opinion. I'd add some fresh breadcrumbs to bind instead.

POT ROAST MEATLOAF
serves 4-6

For the meatloaf:
1 onion chopped
Olive oil
1 heaped tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
12 Jacob's cream crackers
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp Dijon mustard (I didn't use this)
500g minced beef
1 large egg

For the sauce
1 onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic crushed
1 red chilli finely sliced
1 tsp smoked paprika (see notes above !!!)
2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
1x 400g can chickpeas drained
2 tablespoons Lea & Perrins
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

2tsp chopped fresh rosemary
6 slices smoked streaky bacon (or pancetta)

Fry the onion in the olive oil and then add the cumin and coriander. Cook slowly for about 5 minutes until soft and then set aside to cool.
Crush the crackers into fine crumbs and mix with the onion. Add the rest of the ingredients plus some seasoning and squish well together.
Form into an oblong shape, rub with oil and put into an oven proof dish. Bake for 30 mins at 200C

While this is cooking fry the onion for the sauce with the chilli and garlic in olive oil, add the paprika and cook for 5 mins until soft
Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar, simmer for 10 mins until reduced

Remove the meatloaf from the oven and pour the fat over the rosemary. Drape the bacon over the meatloaf and then pour over the sauce.
Finally add the rosemary mixture back to the pan and cook for 10 mins or so until the bacon has crisped.

Serve with salad and crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment