Monday 23 August 2010

Pesto rice salad

Oh I love pesto. The smell of torn basil is heavenly and mixed with parmesan, pine nuts, garlic and olive oil - well it's a marriage made in heaven. I never used to like it, it's something that's either come with age - or with better quality ingredients - one of the two. Both my boys love it "green pasta" is a quick favourite for tea here.



We had a large family BBQ at the weekend and while my Mum provided the meat, I had to make the side dishes. I've done this Delia Smith recipe before and it always goes down a storm. I suppose basically it's like a cold risotto but it is so tasty. I've always served it cold but I'd guess that it could also work as a warm starter. I will have to admit to cheating here - but I'm sure Delia wouldn't mind, after all she is the Queen of cheating !!

DELIA'S PESTO RICE SALAD
serves 4-6


1 pot Waitrose fresh green pesto
Arborio rice measured to 225ml in a jug
450ml boiling vegetable stock
juice 1 lemon
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
few fresh basil leaves
4 spring onions chopped
25g grated parmesan

Measure the rice in a jug and mix 1/4 of the pesto through
Tip into a saucepan and then add the stock and some salt if wished
Put the lid on the pan and cook until the water absorbed and the rice is tender
When it's ready tip into a bowl and stir through the olive oil and lemon juice
If serving straight away add the garnishes now, otherwise add just before serving.

This is seriously lovely and son no 2 went back for 3 helpings ! Praise indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment