Monday 16 August 2010

Eggs Benedict

*droooool*

I'd never had Eggs Benedict until my honeymoon. It was something I'd wanted to try for ages but never got around to it and then one morning it was on the breakfast menu and I had to try it. Memories of those gorgeous mornings sitting at breakfast in the Caribbean sun and enjoying some of the best mango and pineapple I'd ever eaten - sigh !

Anyway I love it so much but never make it as it's so much faff. Something I always order if we're in a hotel but very rarely make it at home. After my pavlova success I had 4 egg yolks going begging so Eggs Benedict for lunch it was - very indulgent. Even son no 2 enjoyed eating mine. I'm sure mine is a "cheats hollandaise" but it works for me.

EGGS BENEDICT
serves 2



2 English muffins split and toasted
4 large eggs for poaching
streaky bacon (smoked or unsmoked) fried until crisp

2 egg yolks
pinch Maldon salt
few drops white wine vinegar
125g soft butter cubed
juice 1/2 lemon

Split and toast the muffins, fry the bacon until crisp and poach the eggs by whatever means you prefer (more about that later)

For the hollandaise. Set a bowl over a pan of just simmering water - not too hot else you'll have scrambled eggs.

Whisk the yolks with the salt and vinegar and some white pepper
Add the cubes of butter a few at a time whisking all the time
Keep whisking until you have a thick gorgeous sauce, then add lemon to taste

Assemble muffins first, then bacon, then eggs then pour over the hollandaise.

Enjoy..........

No comments:

Post a Comment