Tuesday 19 January 2010

Simple tomato sauce

For years now I've been trying to perfect something as simple as a basic tomato sauce. A base for so many things but I haven't been able to crack it.

Both little ones will eat pasta until it's coming out of their ears, so it's one of the staples. While son no1 loves his "squidgy pasta" aka spinach and ricotta tortelloni, I do balk a little at paying nearly £2 for a pot of napoletana sauce.

So after trial and error, I think I've cracked it. I tend to make it in bulk and freeze so there is always a quick tea in the freezer. It also works well as a pizza sauce and has the added benefit of extra veggies.

The sugar may seem an odd addition but it really brings out the sweetness and gives another note to the sauce.

MY BASIC TOMATO SAUCE






2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions chopped
4 cloves of garlic (I do so love my garlic !) crushed
2 sticks of celery finely diced
2 carrots finely diced
1 tbsp dried oregano
3x 400g canned tomatoes
a hefty squeeze tomato puree
1tsp sugar
salt and pepper

Heat the olive oil in a large pan.
Add all the veg and sweat slowly until just soft
Then add the oregano and cook for a few minutes
Add the tomatoes and about a can of water, then add the tomato puree, sugar and seasoning
Simmer slowly until thick and rich.

Tonight I served this with shredded chicken and cooked pasta, nice and simple but quick and healthy too !

No comments:

Post a Comment