Saturday 10 March 2007

Spiced apple muffins

I thought I'd easy myself back in gently with some baking today as I was not feeling so bad this morning - shame it's all come back now though !

The little one loves baking with me but the lure of playing in Daddy's shed this morning was just too much, so I had the bliss of pottering around my kitchen with the radio on & cooking at my speed and not constantly having to watch out for flying eggs (I kid you not !) and fingers going near melted butter etc.

This was a recipe I have shamelessly lifted from another blog but oh my God they are amazing and am ashamed to admit two have gone already in the 2 hours since they've been out of the oven - no wonder I'm feeling sick again !

I did find here though that Nigella's advice of lumpy batter = light muffins worked once again !

SPICED APPLE MUFFINS
makes 12



250g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp mixed spice
100g of golden caster sugar
1 egg
5 fl oz/150 ml milk
170g finely chopped apple (peeled and cored)
85g butter, melted
80g sultanas
50g chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 200 degrees (I used 190 deg for a fan oven) and prepare muffin tins

In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and mixed spice. Stir in the sugar.

Beat the egg and add the milk followed by the apple, melted butter and raisins.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined. Because the apple releases its juices whilst cooking it's quite a dry batter.

Spoon into tins and bake for 20-25 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment